Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft have made life much more convenient. These car services are fast, affordable and they are a great way for people to make extra money driving.
But when you get into a Lyft rideshare car, you’re taking a risk. The driver does not have any special training and they are just as likely to get into an accident as any other car on the road.
Things can get even more complicated when it comes to who is responsible for the accident. Is it the driver of the Lyft, the driver of the other vehicle or the company itself?
Well, the answer to that question can vary depending on the circumstances of the accident. These unknowns lead to complications that can make it difficult to get the justice you deserve.
Bloomsburg, PA’s Luschas, Naparsteck & Crane, LLP has years of experience with car accidents and we can get you the answers you need.
What are the Different Types of Lyft Car Accidents That Occur?
With so many parties being involved in a rideshare accident, there are a variety of accidents that can occur. These are as follows:
- Your Driver Gets in an Accident: If you are a passenger in a Lyft car, your driver can get in an accident with another vehicle. The accident may be your driver’s fault, or it may be the fault of the other driver.
- A Lyft Car Hits Your Vehicle: In some cases, you may be driving and get into an accident with a Lyft car.
- A Lyft Car Hits You as You are Walking or Cycling: A Lyft car may also hit you when you’re walking on the sidewalk or cycling on the road.
Who Covers Damages in a Lyft Accident?
In order to understand who covers damages in a Lyft accident, it’s important to become familiar with the company’s insurance coverage. Here are some factors that come into play.
- The App Must Be Turned On: A driver can only be covered under Lyft insurance if the app is turned on. If the app is not turned on, drivers are considered to be off duty.
- If There is No Passenger in the Car: If the app is turned on but there is no passenger in the car, coverage will be provided up to $50,000 of a bodily injury per person, up to $100,000 for a bodily injury per accident and up to $25,000 for property damage.
- If There is a Passenger in the Car: When a passenger is in the car, Lyft provides $1,000,000 in coverage per occurrence. They also provide contingent collision and comprehensive coverage equal to the cash value or repair cost of the vehicle with a $2500 deductible. Underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage varies from state to state.
The at fault party will also come into play when determining who’s responsible for damages.
If the Lyft driver was responsible for the accident, all damages that occur will be covered by the company.
If the other driver was at fault, the driver will need to turn to their insurance to cover damages. This can be problematic as it’s likely the driver will only have basic liability insurance that will not be enough to cover medical expenses.
If you were involved in a Lyft accident that was the driver’s fault, and their insurance does not cover your damages, talk to Luschas, Naparsteck & Crane, LLP. We may be able to come up with other ways for you to become compensated.
What About Drivers?
If you are a driver who was involved in a Lyft accident, you may have some difficulty. If your driver’s insurance does not cover commercial use of the vehicle, your may have trouble getting coverage for your damages from your insurance company.
Another option is to go to Lyft for worker’s comp coverage. However, Lyft considers employees to be independent contractors who are exempt from coverage.
One silver lining to this is that the rules are beginning to change and rideshare drivers are often being seen as employees under the eyes of the law. Therefore, more drivers are being compensated for accident related injuries.
Luschas, Naparsteck & Crane, LLP Can Help
Luschas, Naparsteck & Crane, LLP has had years of experience dealing with car accidents.
Over the years, we have developed a strong reputation with our clients. They trust us to get the best possible outcomes. We are known for being a highly skilled firm that thrives on transparency and respect.
If you were injured in a Lyft accident, don’t let big corporations get away with it. Call us to get the compensation you deserve.