Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
When a car accident occurs, drivers aren’t the only ones that sustain injuries. Pedestrians can be injured as well.
When a pedestrian is injured in a car crash, the outcome can be quite serious. Pedestrians don’t have the protection a car offers. When impacted by the weight of a vehicle devastating injuries can occur that negatively affect quality of life.
At the Bloomsburg, PA law offices of Luschas, Naparsteck & Crane, LLP, we help pedestrians who have been in pedestrian accidents. Read on to find out how we can help.
Pedestrians accidents happen more often than you might think, and they can be fatal in nature. To give you some perspective, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 4,092 pedestrian accident-related deaths in 2009 alone. That equals 11 pedestrian accident deaths per day.
Pedestrian accidents can occur anywhere there is traffic. This includes sidewalks, streets, intersections, parking lots and more.
Unlike bicyclists, pedestrians tend not to wear any type of reflective clothing. This makes them harder to see, especially at night. If drivers are not paying attention, it can easily result in a pedestrian accident.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
It is a driver’s responsibility to yield to a pedestrian who is lawfully making use of the street or sidewalk. Therefore, drivers are usually to blame for pedestrian accidents.
Here are some common behaviors that increase the risk:
- Driving distracted
- Driving intoxicated
- Failure to yield
- Disobeying the rules of the road
- Driving fatigued
- Not having lights on
- Illegal passing
- Failure to signal
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
When a pedestrian accident occurs, it is rare for the driver to sustain major injuries. Pedestrians, on the other hand, do not have the protection of a vehicle. Therefore, it is common for them to sustain injuries that are serious and even deadly in nature.
Here are some of the most common types of injuries that occur.
- Neck, Face and Head: 38% of pedestrians suffer injuries to the neck, face and head. They may hit the pavement, or they may be thrown into the windshield of the car. A traumatic brain injury can lead to a concussion or permanent brain damage. Neck injuries can lead to chronic pain and even paralysis. Face injuries can require extensive reconstructive surgery.
- Upper Extremities: 27% of pedestrian accidents result in upper extremity injuries. Victims may suffer injuries to their shoulders, arms, hands and wrists that can require surgery and years of physical therapy. They may also incur injuries to their chest and abdomen that can be fatal.
Fractures to the lower body, cuts and abrasions due to road burn can also occur.
Damages in a Pedestrian Accident
If you were involved in a pedestrian accident, you can incur injuries that can greatly reduce quality of life. They can affect your ability to work, they can require years of medical care and they can take away your enjoyment of life in general.
Tips for Staying Safe
Drivers are usually responsible for pedestrian accidents. However, pedestrians who do their part to stay safe will be less likely to fall prey to drivers that are not obeying the rules.
Here are some steps you can take to reduce the risk of being a victim of a pedestrian accident.
- Never enter or stay on a railroad crossing or bridge
- Obey all traffic laws, signals and traffic control officers
- Do not suddenly walk or run into the path of a vehicle
- Use a sidewalk whenever possible
- Cross the road in the crosswalk at a right angle
- Wear bright or reflective clothing when walking at night
- Pedestrians have the right of way in a crosswalk
- Avoid walking distracted. While pedestrians have the right to be on phones and devices, make sure you have enough awareness to pay attention to those around you, especially when crossing the street.
How Luschas, Naparsteck & Crane, LLP Can Help
If you were involved in a Pennsylvania pedestrian accident, you may be suffering with serious injuries. You may not feel like you have the energy to deal with a taxing lawsuit. Luschas, Naparsteck & Crane, LLP will take the weight off your hands helping you get the justice you deserve.
At Luschas, Naparsteck & Crane, we have over 40 years of experience dealing with personal injury and pedestrian accident lawsuits. We have built a reputation for transparency and respect. We have a team of skilled lawyers that specialize in various aspects of the law ensuring you will get the customized service you require.
A pedestrian accident is no laughing matter. Call Luschas, Naparsteck & Crane, LLP to make sure you get the closure you need to move on with your life.